Saturday 19 April 2014

My colourful, floral bangle :)

I hope everyone has enjoyed their Bank Holiday Weekend and managed not to over indulged in to much chocolate...unlike myself! :/ :s :/

Last night I finished my first crochet bangle and I'm really pleased with the results and can't wait to make more.  :)


Although it was very simple to make this is the first time I have attempted to write out any of my patterns so please feel free to get in touch with any questions or -ahem- point out any mistakes :):):)

For this project I used a large wooden bangle, a 3.5mm crochet hook, yellow and orange seed beads, invisible thread and DMC Natura Just Cotton 4 Ply in the following colours:
Turquoise - n49
Tournesol - n16
Coral - n18
Pistache - n13
Glicine - n30
Safran - n47
Geranium - n52

You can buy these shades from the following link: http://www.deramores.com/dmc-natura-just-cotton

And here's what I did:

Firstly I measured around a simple bangle (you could recycle one of your old ones) and then the circumference; as shown in my little diagram below:


Now you are ready to begin :) 

I made a crochet chain the length of 'measurement 1', then added one extra chain.  In the second chain from the hook I crocheted to the end of the row using dc (or sc if your American).  Ch1 then turn your work and continue onto the next row.  
I changed colour scheme after every 2 rows, but it is your choice how you wish to continue and what colour scheme you wish to use.

Note: After you have done a few rows it might be worth wrapping your work around the bangle to check that you are happy with the length and tension, as you may have to add or undo a stitch or two.  This will save a lot of time if your measurements were not correct. :)


When your work measures the same length as 'measurement 2' in the diagram you can sew the two short ends together to form a loop.  Turn your work inside out so that the seam is not showing and pull over the outside of your bangle.




Now onto those pesky end bits...you could use a needle to thread the bits into your work but I preferred to cheat a little by just using a simple hand stitch over them (as seen below in black thread), personally I found this quicker.  Invisible thread might prove best for this but as it will be hidden in the middle of your bangle your stitching shouldn't matter to much.  Great if your a sloppy stitcher like me :D


Finally sew the to edges together around the inside of your bangle making sure your colours match up and use a needle to hide any escaping bits... And your done! :)



You could choose to leave your bangle like this or add some embelishments; I decided to go with a crochet floral theme using the same bright colours as before. :)


Flowers:
3ch then slst into the first chain to make a circle.  *2ch, 1tr (USA 1dc) 2ch, then slst back into the circle.*  Repeat *_* until you have 5 petals and fasten off.

Leaves:
7ch and slst into the 2nd chain from the hook, then dc, htr, 2tr and dc in the last stitch.  (USA - sc, hdc, 2dc and sc). Fasten off and hide the loose ends.


After making enough flowers and leaves I had a little play around before desiding on the final layout and sewing them on using invisible thread.  This is a bit fiddly but worth it!


I then finished off by sewing a number of yellow and orange seed beads into the center of each flower.


Hooray!  You're done!

Here's my finished product ready to be torn from my adoring wrist and placed up for sale in my Etsy shop.  I would love to know what you think of my final design.  xXx 






 This blog entry is my submission to the Deramores Blog Awards 2014. Deramores is the UK’s number one online retailer of knitting and crochet supplies. 












3 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! I can imagine this working really well with lacy crochet too, so that you have the wood bangle peeping through :)

    Awake + Make

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Charl that's a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and will definitely be trying one myself! Thanks for sharing such a colourful idea :)
    B x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
Much love
Jo
xXx